Since 2003, the Towards Maturity Benchmark has explored how learning innovation can impact the performance of both individuals and organisations.
The study explores 2 types of formal benchmarks:
- Key Performance Indicators: 12 common output indicators for L&D that explore business impact, individual impact and learning efficiency
- Effective Practice Indicators: 24 indices of effective practice that influence performance
Key Performance Indicators
Your Personalised Benchmark Report provides you with feedback against the following KPI’s
Business Impact Indicators
- Improved ability to change procedures or products
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Reduction in time to rollout of new IT applications
- Increase in organisational productivity from learning interventions
Staff Impact Indicators
- Improvement in measure of staff satisfaction/engagement
- Reduction in time to competency
- Increase in qualifications gained by staff
- Reduction in staff turnover
- Cost saved
- Increase in volume of training
- Reduction in delivery time
- Reduction in study time
How are the KPI’s Calculated?
Benchmark figures are used throughout the Towards Maturity Personalised Report provides measures for comparison and for compiling a business case for new investment.
- Conservative values are used – Responses for efficiency benefits were scaled from 0-9%, 10-19%, 20-29% etc. The lowest boundary value was used to determine average and Benchmark improvement values. A maximum of 50% improvement was set. Responses for business and staff indicators were provided as absolute percentage values.
- Benchmarks include both measured and estimated values – those simply estimating their answer invariably erred on the cautious side. For example, the average delivery time reduction was 24% by those who measured it and 20% by those who estimated it. This pattern was repeated across all our measures and therefore estimates are included in our overall benchmark figure.
- Large data set- Towards Maturity Efficiency Benchmark figures are derived from a minimum of 792 organisations that provided quantitative data. Business Impact Benchmarks are averaged from a minimum of 381 organisations. Staff Impact Benchmarks are averaged from a minimum of 316 responses.
- Validated each year – Year-on-year variation is removed by using 3-year rolling averages for Benchmark Key Performance Indicators.
- Relevant for all: our “top learning organisations” are drawn from all sectors, shapes and sizes of organisations. Although 54% are multinationals, 38% are from organisations with under 1,000 staff and 28% have less than 3 years’ experience of using learning technologies. Our Top Deck is equally evenly distributed. These are not the companies with the largest budgets for L&D!
Other Indicators included in the Personalised Benchmark Report
Learning & Development Indicators:
- Technology Take-up Indicators
- Intangible Benefits
- Risk Indicators
Effective Practice Indicators
- Towards Maturity Index (TMI)™
- Alignment and Engagement Indices
- Effective Practice Work Streams
- Implementing 70:20:10
- Equipped for change: L&D Skills
Start the conversation
If you have received your Personalised Benchmark Report and would like help interpreting the data, contact us for a complimentary 15-minute consultation: