Introducing the Towards Maturity Community Interest Company
Towards Maturity is an independent, not for profit organisation with a passion for helping others to improve the impact of learning technologies* at work.
Businesses have to continually respond to fast changing economic environments and innovative thinking on behalf of learning and development professionals is essential if they are to meet demands to deliver improved results with less resources.
The current economic climate is accelerating the demand for change.
Learning technologies have a role to play but over the years organisations have had varied experience. Large investments have been made but often with very little return. However our research has shown that businesses who are mature in their use perceive a positive difference on both their staff and business productivity.
Our aim at Towards Maturity is to
· Provide independent research to identify trends and good practice in the workplace. What is driving change? How can technology support change? How can we develop new learning approaches that will improve business performance?
· Gather and share good practice and thought leadership within the community so that we can learn from each other (and avoid each other's mistakes!)
· Proactively influence the wider UK skills agenda to meet business skill’s demand more effectively.
Through our website, www.towardsmaturity.org, we provide research and resources to support organisations and individuals who want to learn from each other’s experience and influence effective change, both within their own organisation but also within wider skills provision and policy.
Vision and Values
As an organisation we believe in:
- Encouraging learning innovation that directly impacts results in the workplace (for organisations and individuals)
- The power of the community – building on, acknowledging and contributing to collective good practice
- Supporting the learning and education of others
- Building transparent, trusted and open relationships with those we work with
- Encouraging excellence from within
- Celebrating the successes of others
Who will benefit from Towards Maturity?
- Anyone new to learning technologies and those looking to improve the return or influence sustainable changes in the workplace.
- Businesses looking for innovation in skills delivery (large and small, private and public).
- Learning providers looking to support changing customer needs (both commercial and public sector).
- Organisations influencing wider agenda’s to support the UK’s skills needs (such as Sector Skills Councils, and industry and professional associations)
Supporting learning innovation in business
Towards Maturity resources are developed to support anyone looking to implement learning change in their business. After completing a personal profile, individuals can access relevant resources to their situation. Anyone can keep in touch with cases studies, ideas and latest thinking by subscribing to:
- RSS feeds for hot of the press news.
- The monthly newsletter
- The Towards maturity I tunes podcast feed for latest interviews
These resources are free to registered users of www.towardsmaturity.org
Supporting and influencing the wider skills agenda
Towards Maturity started life as an e-skills UK project supported by the Learning and Skills Council to understand how employers can make the best use of learning technologies and to extend that understanding to influence wider policy change. This influencing work continues today. Towards Maturity is currently supported by Becta and is a founding ambassador and strategic partner for their Next Generation Learning in the workplace initiative.
When it comes to influencing a wider UK skills agenda, we firmly believe that businesses, and those supporting businesses on a day to day basis, are in the best position to say what works and what doesn’t when it comes to learning technology in the workplace.
Our 'Community of Excellence'
Since its inception, Towards Maturity has relied on a broad VIRTUAL group of interested organisations and individuals who are keen to share their experiences of learning technologies at work for the wider good. Members of our Community of Excellence (previously known as the Virtual Advisory Group) represent all workplace e-learning backgrounds including:
- Employers across all sectors currently using e-learning to build skills.
- Commercial e-learning providers and consultants.
- Employer bodies and trade unions supporting the use of e-learning in the workplace.
- LSC funded work based learning providers and colleges.
This proactive community helps by contributing success stories (case studies), research, white papers, tools and techniques which are shared on the Towards Maturity Website. They also have the opportunity to get involved and influence the UK skills agenda’s through Towards Maturity’s wider work with Becta, Sector skills councils and other skills agencies.
* Our definition of learning technologies/e-learning:
‘The use of any technology across the learning process, including skills diagnostics, learning delivery, support, management, assessment, informal and formal learning’
What is a Community Interest Company?
Community Interest Companies (CICs) are limited companies but created for the use of people who want to conduct a business or other activity for community benefit and not just for private advantage. This is achieved by a 'community interest test' and and an 'asset lock' which ensure that the CIC is established for community purposes and that the assets and profits are dedicated to these purposes.
Towards Maturity CIC has been approved by the Regulator who also has a continuing monitoring and enforcement role. More information can be found at www.cicregulator.gov.uk.
Find out more:
Anyone interested in improving the impact of learning technologies at work can keep in touch by registering for the Towards Maturity Newsletter and completing their profile to access relevent resources.
If you are interested in becoming more proactive within the wider community, find out more about joining the Community of Excellence.
Moving forward, a key sponsor of the work of Towards Maturity CIC's work with their community is Becta, the government agency leading the national drive to ensure the effective and innovative use of technology throughout learning.
For further information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org