- Text size
Latest research sheds light on what motivates learners to invest in online learning.
70% of L&D are not proactive in understanding how individuals in their organisations learn. It's perhaps unsurprising that they struggle to engage staff. It is time for change.
Go to the bottom of this page to DOWNLOAD the report.
In this new Towards Maturity In-Focus report, we draw on insights from 2,084 individuals who have invested their own time and resources in online learning. They could be your workers, or your potential workers of the future...so we investigated how they learn what they need to do their job.
We compared these perspectives with those of over 600 L&D leaders around the globe. When it comes to supporting a great learning experience, what can these individuals teach us?
Here are a few insights covered in the report:
Workers have a positive outlook on the value of online learning:
- 80% can see how online learning can help them further their career
- 70% think that it has a positive impact on their job performance
Workers know more about what they need than most L&D teams give them credit for:
- 88% know what learning they need but only 42% agree that their company provides relevant online learning for their job
Workers overcome challenges of access, but struggle with supply:
- 53% find location or IT is a barrier to learn online, so they are turning to mobile, with 64% saying accessing learning from a mobile device is essential/very useful
- 29% find online content uninspiring
Workers do not consider the course as the only option:
- 77% rate working in collaboration with others as essential/very useful
Workers turn to technology for convenience and connectivity:
- 89% are downloading apps - e.g. for education (50%) and productivity tools (49%)
Workers value personal experience for personal gain:
- 57% want learning to contribute towards a qualification or certification
Managers play a critical role:
- 31% say that support from their managers is critical to a smooth and successful online learning experience
The full report goes onto highlight areas where L&D professionals are potentially out of sync with how workers learn. Throughout the report, we identify a series of questions for L&D teams to consider, in order to help them improve the way they support staff at work.
Download the full report and a summary version below.
Watch '10 Insights for Engaging Learners'
Based on this In-Focus report, Towards Maturity joined Filtered to present you with everything you need to understand what drives people to learn what they need for work. This webinar tells you:
- What technology choices learners are making
- When they prefer to learn
- About their willingness to curate and share knowledge
- Who influences their learning choices and what support they need
So if you are talking about mobile, social, 70:20:10, learning design, games, rewards, recognition, certification or accreditation - the insights are here.
This In-Focus report is free to download, thanks to the support of Filtered.
Please note, you need to be logged in/registered to download your copy - the download link will take you our registration page if you are not logged in. By downloading this report, you agree for your email address to also be shared with our sponsors (Please contact us directly for a copy if you do not wish for your address to be shared).
Log in and click the link under ‘Related Downloads' below to download this report.
- In-Focus: The Consumer Learner at Work (2016)
- In-Focus: The Consumer Learner at Work (2016) - Exec Summary